Terms of Reference (TOR) of Consultant for Cooperative Business Planning Training Workshop Facilitation and Onsite Support for Business Plan finalization
Terms of Reference (TOR) of consultant for cooperative business planning training workshop facilitation and onsite support for business plan finalization
1. Project Background
Value Chain Development of Fruit and Vegetables project (VCDP) is a joint initiative of Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development (MoALD) with the support from Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) aimed to increase income of 10,000 smallholder farmers of 39 rural/municipalities aside BP highway and Prithvi highway extending to Syangja and Hetauda-Dumkibas section of the East-West highway. The project has three major outcome areas (1) improve agricultural productivity through increased capacity of government agencies and better access to production technologies by farmers, (2) reduce postharvest losses of selected fruit and vegetables by postharvest technology development, and (3) better market linkages at local level. VCDP considers agriculture producer organizations (including cooperatives, committees, networks, and market centres) as most potential business vehicle to for sustainable value chain development at local level. But the current management practices, governance mechanism, member-cooperative business linkage, production and market-based business plan, operational policy and guidelines are still substantially limited to cater the need of their fellow members and address market opportunities. On this backdrop, VCDP has been providing support services to enhance their technical and managerial capacity. For the same, project has planned to hire consultant(s)/firms and mobilize to support participating cooperatives to develop/update their business plan.
2. Scope of Work
Majority of the agriculture cooperatives in rural areas deprived from access to updated knowledge and skill on cooperative management which resulted into substandard performance of the cooperative including limited member-organization coordination, governance, and member’s economic participation. Over the course of time, there is substantial change in cooperative leaders and operators, but they were not well informed with the recent policy provisions and management skills. Most of them do not have minimum policy documents and guidelines for smooth and transparent operation of the cooperative business and address the members’ aspirations. One of the major guiding documents for the cooperative is their business plan but most of the agricultural cooperatives are operating without having such plan. Those cooperatives who have business plan, is not well communicated among the cooperative leaders and the fellow members thereby limiting the growth potential and success factor of the cooperatives. Therefore, VCDP is hiring consultants to support the selected cooperatives to enhance their knowledge and skills for developing and internalize the business plan. This assignment will be implemented primarily in three steps
Step 1: preliminary information collection/compilation by the participating cooperatives as per the prescribed template/checklist
Step 2: Organize BP planning workshop among selected leaders of the cooperative with assignment to participating members for further information compilation and drafting BP
Step 3: Finalize the BP and articulation among coop leaders and member representatives at each coop level
Key responsibilities of the consultant
- Conduct meeting with VCDP team to get acquainted with the project objective, geographical area, and brief information about the selected cooperatives,
- Quick review of existing business plan, if available, of cooperatives
- Review experiences of cooperative business management particularly on marketing of fresh agri produce and design appropriate template for business plan that is suitable for poorly literate cooperative leaders and operators,
- Design a 3-day long business planning workshop schedule with, detailed content, defined template, and guidelines to prepare/facilitate the business planning and incorporate the input/feedback from the project team while finalizing.
- Prepare checklist for the basic information, documents and evidence that needs to bring during the business planning workshop. Consult with cooperative representative and project staffs (if needed) to gather basic information as per the checklist.
- Facilitate business plan preparation workshops (3 days each) as per agreed plan, document the discussion points, plans and strategies to meet the set targets, and translate them into concrete business plan. Ensure the business plan has addressed all the business/service sectors of the cooperative,
- Design checklist that the representative participants task for the business plan development at coop level, the clear and detail action plan with timeline.
- Work together with the cooperative leaders and finalize the business plan
- Prepare assignment completion report
Duration of the work
The estimated number of total person days for this assignment is 36 during 25 July – 30 September 2022. The two training slots during first and second week of August 2022, possibly one in Dhulikhel and another in Pokhara. Each training event will of 3 days in residential form. The maximum number of days for different task to be completed is indicated hereunder.
Table 3: Tentative workdays distribution for different sub-activities for business plan preparation
|Tasks to be accomplished||Number of person days||Remarks|
|Pre-workshop activities: meeting with project team, review of documents, prepare checklist, design the business planning workshop, preliminary analysis templates, preparation for business planning workshop||4|
|Facilitate business planning workshop facilitation (2 consultants)||12|
|Post-workshop: Draft review, finalization, and articulation sessions||20|
Qualifications of the Consultant
The consultants should have following qualifications and competencies:
- The consultant should have at least Master’s degree in agricultural economics, economics, business management, finance, or related field,
- Proven experience of successfully facilitating cooperative business planning workshop and develop business plan (at least 5 agricultural coops), preference will be given to those consultants who supported to prepare business plan of agricultural marketing cooperatives. Clear evidence of such assignment completion should be submitted while applying,
- Experience of designing related training/workshop content and preparation of manuals/guidelines,
- Sound knowledge on relevant policy provision and practices relating to agriculture cooperative business sector in Nepal,
- Have basic computer literacy, and good command on both English and Nepali language in speaking and writing, the training delivery and the business plan document should be finalized in Nepali language while the calculation excel sheet may be in English.
- Priority will be given to women, Dalit, Janajati and ethnic communities,
- Detailed table of content, schedule, guideline and template
- Event facilitation
- Finalized business plan(s) including working sheets, raw data and related documents,
- Event completion report
3. Institutional arrangements and reporting
Under the overall supervision of the National Project Manager, the consultant(s) shall work in close collaboration and guidance of the Marketing and Value Chain Specialist of the Project.
4. Consultancy fee, benefits, and payments
- The consultancy fee is based on expertise and experience. Interested candidates should quote the total consultancy fee in application cover letter. The mentioned consultancy fee will be applicable tax as per prevailing rule,
- The consultant(s) should be PAN/VAT registered. In case of VAT registered, recent tax clearance certificate should be submitted,
- To cover the food and accommodation expenses during the travel days and field work, consultants are eligible to claim DSA at the rate of Rs 2500/day. Consultant should not claim the DSA if the food and accommodation is covered by the organizer (Project/Cooperative). Similarly, DSA for returning day is not provided,
- There should be a clear and specific field travel plan duly approved by the concerned point person (Marketing and Value Chain Specialist) of the project,
- Unless stated otherwise, Kathmandu will be considered as the base station for this assignment and the travel and DSA for the consultant(s) will be arranged accordingly,
- Project will provide logistic support on transportation directly to and from the event venue (for the two workshop) while the consultants should use public vehicle to visit individual coops.
- Payment to consultant shall be upon submission of assignment/event completion report and acceptance by the project. Payment shall be made via bank transfer,
- The consultant should have PAN/VAT registered. In case of VAT registered, copy of registration document and recent year’s tax clearance certificate need to submit during the application.
5. How to apply?
Interested and eligible candidates are requested to submit an updated CV highlighting the relevant competency, expertise, and experience along with an application letter mentioning the total financial quote on event basis. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application can be submitted via email to email@example.com no late than 28 July 2022.