Terms of reference For Expression of Interest (EOI) Retainer Lawyer
Terms of reference
For Expression of Interest (EOI)
|Type of Service||Retainer Lawyer|
|Employer||Habitat for Humanity Nepal, Sanepa, Lalitpur, NEPAL|
|Consultancy duration||1 December 2022 till 30 November 2023|
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal (Habitat Nepal) as part of Habitat for Humanity International network, is a non-governmental organization that has been in existence for 24 years in Nepal. Habitat Nepal has worked to fulfil a vision “A world where everyone has a decent place to live”. Habitat Nepal serves the most vulnerable through the provision and promotion of decent housing, water & sanitation, housing microfinance and advocacy on land & housing rights with an emphasis on gender equality.
We seek a highly qualified and experienced Legal /Law Firm to provide legal services to Habitat Nepal.
Scope of work
- Review policies, contracts, MOU, or any other documents to ensure legal compliance with applicable national laws and provide relevant and practical solutions on the implementation of the policies.
- Review HR Policy and provide inputs in compliance with to the labor law and practices and Legal endorsements.
- Provide legal perspective to standardize forms and formats to be used and legal endorsement
- of contracts, agreements and amendments issued by Habitat Nepal.
- Regularly advise Habitat Nepal on the legal requirement governing INGOs in Nepal, with the recommendation of the best practices or systems that could be are adopted by Habitat Nepal.
- Update Habitat Nepal Senior Management Team regarding new national laws which may affect the operations including labor law changes, registration and tax changes, expatriate visa, work-permit, etc.
- Provide legal advice and professional solutions on matters including, but not limited to contracts, labor, employment, tax, insurance, local registration, criminal, business, intellectual property to the senior management team as needed.
- Draw up the formalities for the amicable settlement of arbitration and disputes which may arise during contract implementation, analyzing complex situations and disputes in contracts including dispute resolution and drafting of legal opinions and briefs.
- Engage in preparing and translating legal documents.
- Act as Habitat Nepal’s legal representative in the court litigation, official transactions, and other matters in which legal advice and other assistance is required.
- Ensure that Habitat Nepal fulfills all the required statutory and regulatory compliances of Nepal.
- Provide legal advice/support in other areas as requested by Habitat Nepal.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- BA LLB; licensed as an Advocate by Nepal Bar Council. with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working with I/NGO, government organizations or commercial business houses.
- Well informed in all prevailing laws and regulations currently in practice, especially those related to labor, registration, and taxation.
- Demonstrated ability to provide legal recommendations and appropriate legal responses to pressing issues.
- Ability to provide opinions and guidance in English.
Timeline and Remuneration
The duration of this contract will be on a “retainer lawyer” from 1 December 2022 till 30 November 2023, with the possibility of renewal if agreeable to both parties.
Throughout the assignment engagements, the lawyer/law firm are expected to adhere to Habitat Nepal code of conduct, including the disclosure of the conflict of interest and the safeguarding policy to ensure that all measures are taken to protect the rights, safety, and welfare of the individuals and communities involved.
- The legal firm will require to submit the firm/company profile along with a list of clients of the firm, and the CVs of the owner/key partners of the legal firm.
- For individual lawyers to submit curriculum vita.
- A copy of firm/company registration certificate.
- A copy of PAN/VAT registration certificate.
- A copy of tax clearance certificate of most recent fiscal year (firm/company).
- Citizenship of the lawyer/s.
How to Apply
Interested individual lawyers/ law firms should apply and submit their profile (organization profile, application, with curriculum vita) along with professional fees to be charged in hourly rate, and daily rate.
Please send the closed/sealed EOI with subject: Application for Retainer Lawyer.
To Human Resources Department, Habitat for Humanity International Nepal. Sanepa Chowk, Lalitpur-2, P.O. Box: 24037, Kathmandu, Nepal.
Or send email application to email id- email@example.com
Application submission deadline is 14 August 2022.
Human Resources Department, Habitat for Humanity International Nepal
In accordance with its foundational mission principles, Habitat for Humanity International is committed to the highest ethical standards and opposes all forms of discrimination, exploitation, and abuse. We intend to create and maintain a work and living environment that is safe, productive, and respectful for our colleagues and for all we serve.
We require that all staff take seriously their ethical responsibilities to Safeguarding (Child Protection, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation Harassment and Abuse) our intended beneficiaries, their communities (especially children), and all those with whom we work. In line with the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse, all staff must pass a thorough background screening, police check and will be held accountable to upholding our policies around ethical behavior, including safeguarding and whistleblowing
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities, and local candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. However, habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.