Terms of Reference for Development of Position Paper of WHH
Terms of Reference
Development of position paper of WHH
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. is one of the largest Non-Governmental Organizations in Germany operating in the field of Humanitarian Assistance and Development. It was established in 1962 as the German section of the “Freedom from Hunger Campaign”, one of the world’s first initiatives aimed at the eradication of hunger. Welthungerhilfe’s work is still dedicated to the following vision: all people have the right to a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty.
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) has been operational in Nepal since 2012, and it is currently managing different projects in nine districts under four thematic areas (sectors): food and nutrition security, WASH, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), and right to food and empowerment. WHH works partnership with civil society in Nepal to empower socially marginalized and economically poor citizens, to strengthen their resilience and to ensure their right to adequate food and nutrition.
Welthungerhilfe Nepal has planned to develop organization position papers covering different areas like disaster risk reduction and emergency assistance, agriculture and food system, climate change and WASH, green skills/growth, WASH entrepreneurships, nutrition smart village, system strengthening based on organization strategy, working approach, modality, and best practices. In this context, WHH is looking for experienced consultant (s) to develop the position paper and learning documents.
2. Purpose and scope of this assignment
The main purpose of this assignment is to develop position paper and learning documents highlighting key best practices, impact, working approaches, stories of change, and learnings at different level. These documents will be shared among internal and external organizations, donors, government stakeholders, decision-makers for possible opportunities in scaling up/replication in a similar approach. The documents also guide WHH for further scale up its approaches at national and international level.
The scope of this study will remain within WHH project area, adjoining district/municipalities, local, provincial and federal government organization and other relevant stakeholders. The further study location will be selected by consultant as per the position paper/topics. The sectors and number of position papers/topics will be finalized after the discussion with consultant later. The major topics for the position paper are as follows:
- Nutritional Smart Community Model and approach
- Food security, green employment, skills and enterprise and how it is impacted by and adapting to climate change
- Women community platform and Community Dialogue Centers with the advocacy approach
- Food and agri-systems
3. Key actions of the assignment include (but are not limited to)
- Review of the key documents such as proposal, strategy paper, program approaches, progress reports, best practices, existing learning documents and come up with the different position paper documentation options and share with WHH.
- Field visits to the project locations to collect required information for knowledge documentation. This includes (but not limited to) photographs, FGDs/KIIs with participants and government stakeholders etc.
- Organise de-brief session to the WHH to provide insights of the evidence/knowledge for inputs/feedback.
- Prepare draft position paper and share to WHH for feedback. This includes content and graphic design/outlooks with photographs.
- Finalise the final packages incorporating the feedback of WHH and provide the ready to print copies.
4. Methodology and sampling
The study will adapt qualitative method based on position paper and topic. The primary data will be collected through FGD, KII and IDI and observation from field and stakeholders and secondary data will be collected using metadata analysis, project report, WHH guideline and documents, and research reports. The study will apply the purposive sampling procedure based on position paper and topics. The details study method and sampling procedure will propose by consultant in their technical proposal.
The following key deliverables are expected to be produced by the consultant/consulting firm.
a. 5 good/promising practices, case studies from the field, on how we are addressing poverty and hunger to be discussed with the WHH team for identification
b. Theory of change/process documentation on Nutrition Smart Community
c. Position papers, externally facing on our approach to address food security through systems approach, creating skills and employment for the youth, enterprise promotion, nature-based solutions to agriculture and natural resources, how feminization of agriculture is impacting the entire agri-systems
6. Assignment location and duration
The assignment is limited to WHH office/project area and its’ adjoining area of Nepal. However, field visit for evidence collection will be carried out in different municipalities of WHH working area in Madhesh, Bagmati, Lumbini, Karnali and Sudurpaschim province as per requirement.
The consultant is expected to accomplish this assignment within 8 weeks; however, consultant can propose the actual working days required for preparation, evidence collection and final documents preparation.
7. Consultant requirements
The consultant/consulting firm shall have sound experience in similar assignments and consolidated technical expertise in position paper development. If the consultant /consulting firm will propose a team (team leader and additional team members) to accomplish the task, it is expected the consultant/consulting firm will clearly state the number of proposed members, detailing their specific role, expertise, and responsibilities in line with the scope of the assignment.
Core competencies required include:
- Demonstrated experience and competency/understanding on the range of topics in WASH, nutrition and food system, governance, system strengthening, DRR and emergency sectors, climate resilience.
- +5 years’ experience in development project documentation/quality report writing
- Experience in publishing evidence-based articles/documents is advantageous.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
8. Budget requirement
Consultant/organization/consulting firm are requested to propose the required budget in a given financial proposal template below.
9. Payment of fees and associated costs
The contractor will be paid the first instalment, corresponding to the 30% of pre-VAT contract amount, upon submission of approved inception report. The remaining value of the contract will be paid upon successful completion of the assignment and receipt of original invoices/receipts and supporting documents of the costs. Applicable tax as per Nepal tax rule will be deducted from the final payment.
10. Insurance of persons involved in the assignment
Insurance and other related costs of the consultant and person(s) associated to this assignment will be solely responsibility of the contractor.
11. Deadline for proposal and details of what is required
The interested and qualified consultant/consulting firm must apply by 17:00 hours (COB) dated 31st October 2022 via email address given below. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The proposal should include:
- A brief technical proposal outlining how the work will be undertaken, the proposed methodology, the team composition, time schedule (around 5 pages maximum for the overall technical proposal).
- A budget
- A workplan
- CVs of the proposed team members
- Company profile
- Valid registration documents along with VAT registration and tax clearance certificate (in case of company).
- 1-2 sample documents
- Supplier declaration form signed
Please go through the link below to download the Supplier Declaration form:
If you have any question(s) on TOR, please write your queries at email@example.com by COB 21st October 2022. Any queries received after 21st October 2022 will not be considered.
Please note that the selected consultants/consulting firm should adhere with WHH SOP for development project in context of COVID19 and government protocols regarding COVID19 prevention and election code of conduct.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for further evaluation process. Welthungerhilfe Nepal reserves all the rights to reject any or all application without assigning any reasons.