Terms Of Reference
Skill Up!: Green college for advocacy and promotion of inclusive green economy (GREEN)
In-country green business scoping (mapping), and intra and inter-country green market access and promotion strategies
Terms of Reference
Welthungerhilfe, 30 May 2022
|County:Project TitleWHH Project No.:Local partner:Institutional donor:Project period:||NepalSkill Up!: Green college for advocacy and promotion of inclusive green economy (GREEN)NPL 1067Center for Environmental and Agricultural Policy Research, Extension and Development (CEAPRED)German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)01.11.2019– 30.04.2023|
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. is one of the largest Non-Governmental Organizations in Germany operating in the field of Humanitarian Assistance and Development. It was established in 1962 as the German section of the “Freedom from Hunger Campaign”, one of the world’s first initiatives aimed at the eradication of hunger. Welthungerhilfe’s work is still dedicated to the following vision: all people have the right to a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty.
WHH is operational in Nepal since 2012 and currently manages different project in nine districts under four thematic areas (sectors): sustainable food and nutrition security, WASH, right to food and empowerment, and disaster risk reduction. WHH works in partnership with civil society in Nepal to empower socially marginalized and economically poor citizens, to strengthen their resilience and to ensure their right to adequate food and nutrition.
The project titled “Green college for advocacy and promotion of inclusive green economy” (GREEN) is being implemented in Nepal by Welthungerhilfe in partnership with Centre for Agricultural and Environmental Policy Research, Extension and Development (CEAPRED) and other stakeholders. The project aims to accelerate inclusive and sustainable economic development activities in the two least developed provinces of Karnali and Sudurpashchim. Youth is the primary target group of the project with priority for the 16-25 years age group and second is the age group between 25 – 40 years. The target groups are gender-balanced and include minority groups. At least 2,994 (50% women) individuals will directly be benefitted from the skill transfer activities, including in-house courses (478 youths) and extension-based training approach/ farmer field schools (2,516 farmers). The project targets marginalized population groups such as women, Dalit and tribal communities and it aims also at establishing at least 15 Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). WHH Nepal provides technical backstopping and capacity building to partners while ensuring compliance and shaping strategies related to advocacy in cooperation with its partners.
The living conditions (livelihood) of young women and men in rural and urban areas in 8 countries in Asia and Africa has improved sustainably through the establishment of (non-formal) TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) structures according to the skills development approach Skill Up! and its upscaling in all target regions.
Living conditions and diversified farming system have improved by applying Skill Up! and green college approach, and with effective advocacy efforts, skill transfer, business incubation and enterprise development
- Green vocational service providers and entrepreneurs are constantly getting technical, institutional, managerial, information access and incubation services with the establishment of Inclusive Business Incubator (Impact at Scale Center)
- Green vocational skills provision and enterprise development have been strengthened with the establishment of Green Colleges
- Multi-sectoral coordination and policy advocacy towards Skill Up! approach strengthened at all levels (micro-meso-macro)
Project indicator/ targets:
- 60% HHs net annual income increased by 20% at target area by end of the project (EoP)
- At least, 6 economically-viable SMEs (life cycle approach – 4 Rs; recycle, reuse, reduce, refuse) on green sector for employment and revenue generation have been established
- 60% targeted farmer field school households produce at least 5 food groups (cereals, pulses, vegetables, oilseeds, egg)
Study objectives and scope
The studies will be participatory including both technical experts, project team of WHH and CEAPRED, and the target groups. The studies will scope and map the current green economy opportunities, policies and bottlenecks, and will conduct in-depth research and analysis of the sector providing information and guidance that may feed back into project activities to ensure further inclusion, synergy and sustainability of the project. The studies will identify further prospects for improvement and synergy opportunities with other stakeholders and on-going initiatives. The study will be conducted in close coordination and cooperation with project and partners. The study will assess the existing policies and bottlenecks at local government level to strengthen the Skill Up! Approach
The study will focus on:
- The In-country green business scoping/ mapping assessment will list out the current green economy scenario/status in the target area and in the country. The scope of the study includes the mapping of existing associate policies, institutes and organization practicing/ promoting circular economic development, types of green business practices/ interventions, etc. It will identify for each factor the challenges and possibilities and will carry out the SWOT analysis.
- The Intra and inter-country green market access and promotion strategies part of the study will focus on in-depth research and recommendation for green products and services that should be prioritized by the project (and in Nepal in general as well). The study will also recommend the potential markets at national and global level and ways/ strategies to be connected with those buyers. The study not only will find out the types of products and services, but also develop the business strategies/ plans targeting certain marketplaces.
STUDY DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
Welthungerhilfe shall steer and oversee the overall implementation of the study together with its implementing partners. The assignment will provide report by following methods:
- Desk review of relevant past and present policies and inventory of best green value chain development (enterprise development) practices.
- Collection of green economy policies and practices data from different sources.
- Data analysis and draft report preparation.
- Share the findings with participation of project staff and management.
- Prepare draft report as per the agreed reporting structure.
- Share the draft report for comments.
- Address the comments/suggestions from the project team and produce final report.
Please note that the consultant/consulting firm should adhere to WHH SOPs for development project in context of COVID-19 and government protocols regarding COVID-19 prevention.
1Skill Up! approach is Welthungerhilfe’s signatory approach to enhance the skills for poverty reduction. The approaches follows ten quality standards (principles).
The consultant/consulting firm shall submit one inception report at the beginning of the assignment and one report (detailing the green economy polices and good practices in terms of value chain development) as the final delivery of the assignment to Welthungerhilfe. The project team will review the draft reports and the consultant/consulting firm shall incorporate the inputs in the final reports. The assignment will only be close once the report is formally accepted by Welthungerhilfe.
TIME FRAME / SCHEDULE
The study has to be completed and the first draft report has to be submitted within 2 months of signing of the contract. The final report needs to be submitted within fifteen days of inputs received in the draft report.
EXPERTISE OF THE CONSULTANT
The consultant(s)/consulting firm are required to have the following expertise and qualifications:
- Team leader must have at least Master’s degree in business administration, agriculture, or equivalent degree.
- The team leader must have knowledge of policy review methods and techniques, including a thorough understanding enterprise development related programs, policies, strategies of Nepal including and strong qualitative research skills, with +5 years of working experience in policy review and development project related to green value chain.
- The team leader must have prior work experience with or working for international development organizations and familiarity with development and humanitarian programmes/issues.
- The team leader or at least one member of the team of experts must have skills and experience in agriculture value chain development.
- The composition of the team of experts should be balanced to enable complete coverage of the different aspects of consultancy as set out in these terms of reference.
- The consultant(s)/consulting firm must have good command in both writing and speaking in English languages.
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSAL
The interested and qualified consultant(s)/consulting firm must submit their technical and financial proposal, including legal documents (registration & tax clearance in case of consulting firm and VAT registration card for individual) and CVs of key personals with by 17:00 hours (COB) dated 15 June 2022 via email address firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Skill Up!: Green economy policy review . Application received with incomplete documents and later than above date will be disqualified.
For Nutrition policy review, please go through the link below:
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for further evaluation process. Welthungerhilfe Nepal reserves all the rights to reject any or all application without providing any reasons.