Consultancy Service Youth Engagement Strategy
Nature of Consultancy: Individual consultant/ or company
Duration: April 2022- May 2022
1. CONTEXT AND BACKGROUND
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an international non-governmental organization that builds decent and affordable housing in partnership with people in need. The organization serves landless, low-income, vulnerable (, socially excluded, disaster-affected, or living in disaster-prone areas) and Dalit families to build adequate (safe, secure, habitable, accessible, and affordable) homes to promote dignity and hope alongside supporting sustainable and transformational development.
Habitat Nepal implements a holistic approach to housing considering “Youth Engagement” as one of the major components envisioning youth’s meaningful participation and sustained involvement in serving the targeted families to build adequate houses. Habitat Nepal, in its existing youth strategy, takes youth as Change Agents and Watchdog for advocacy, awareness, and volunteering. Habitat Nepal recently signed a new 5-year Program Agreement with Social Welfare Council (SWC)through which the existing youth engagement strategy is planned to undergo research to produce an upgraded, contextualized and effective strategy with an intervention/ action plan supporting Habitat Nepal’s program.
Summary of key documents to be considered,
- Surakshit Awash Program: The program is a 5-year agreement between Habitat Nepal and SWC with a major sector: Land and Housing. The sub-sector components include – Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change; Gender Equality and Social Inclusion; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH); Youth Engagement; Market Systems and Livelihood related to shelter. The Youth Engagement sector is designed to support major components as well as sub-component acting as a change agents and watchdog for community transformation working closely in partnership with Local NGOs, the Government of Nepal, and communities.
- Youth Engagement Strategy: Habitat for Humanity International Nepal’s youth engagement strategy is developed as a component of the housing program strategy by prioritizing the youth. It guides to engagement of the local youth of 18-35 as change agent and watchdog for safe shelter. It will guide Habitat Nepal’s youth strategic plan for 2019 – 2020. The Local NGO in the field will lead its implementation. Habitat Nepal placed youth as the leader of today, mobilizing them like hearts, hands, and voices for the cause of adequate, affordable, and safe housing.
The consultant will be responsible for developing contextual strategy, approaches, and proposed interventions based on existing youth engagement strategies effectively aligning with Habitat Nepal’s Program. He/she must apply a bottom-top approach in the process considering program design, operations, and quality control standards.
2. OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED OUTPUTS
The objectives of this consulting engagement are:
The overall objective of the assignment is to prepare a practical strategy for youth engagement in Habitat Nepal to achieve program outcomes. Specifically, the consultant will
- Review existing Habitat Nepal’s and governments of Nepal youth engagement/ mobilization related strategies, manuals, and guidelines linked with the 5 year program agreement of Habitat Nepal.
- Review available documents (program, policy guidelines) related to youth engagement at local, national, and international levels and contextualize with Habitat Nepal’s program.
- Conduct necessary field consultation using standard framework/tools and prepare a report that explicit strategic outcome and action.
3. KEY DELIVERABLES
Develop contextual youth engagement strategy in compliance with national and international policies, strategies, and guidelines. It should include:
- Research hypothesis and questions
- Methodological approach for study/ research
- Guiding framework and their references
- Contextualized strategy (summary)
- Detail approaches with appropriate recommendations for actions / interventions
4. QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
An individual/company’s team leader as a consultant is expected to work upon request while having experience in the following
- Strong knowledge of strategy development has developed national-level strategy before.
- A good understanding of youth mobilization / engagement interventions.
- Evidence of applying different quantitative research techniques and qualitative research techniques.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in national-level strategy development and have evidence of product strategy from previous work.
- Good understanding of national and international youth policies and programs.
- Good command of the English and Nepali language – written and spoken.
- Prior experience in the development sector. INGO preferable.
- Bachelor’s degree with more than 5 years of related experience or master’s degree in social science, data, statistics, or relevant field of study.
5. ACTIVE SUPPORT OF HFHI VALUES
The consultant shall be totally accountable towards Habitat Nepal’s documents provided during the consultancy service as Habitat Nepal believes in privacy of individual information and the dignity of families we serve. After consultancy tenure is over, he/she must delete provided data and documents that are confidential to the organization.
Throughout the assignment engagement, the consultants are expected to adhere to HFHN Code of Conduct including the Safeguarding Policy, ensuring that all measures are taken to protect the rights, safety, and welfare of the individuals and communities involved.
6. INTERESTED CONSULTANTS ARE REQUESTED TO SUBMIT:
- An expression of interest detailing their interpretation of the Terms of Reference (TOR)
- A detailed budget for proposed costs including all taxes liable to be paid.
- A capability statement demonstrating how they meet the required qualifications, competencies, sample strategy the company or s/he has prepared.
- Research plan and methodologies document
- The entire bid should be a maximum of 3 pages including the budget. Bids not meeting this requirement will not be considered.
- In case of consulting company, updated legal documents
- Confidentiality of Information. All documents and data collected will be treated as confidential and used solely to facilitate analysis.
7. INSTRUCTIONS TO SUBMIT THE PROPOSAL
Please send your proposal as stated in point (6) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write Consultancy Assignment- Youth Engagement Strategy in the subject line of the email and submit the proposal no later than 17 April 2022
Follow us to learn more about our work – www.facebook.com/habitatnepal
In accordance with its foundational mission principles, Habitat for Humanity International is committed to the highest ethical standards and opposes all forms of discrimination, exploitation, and abuse. Our intent is to create and maintain a work and life environment that is safe, productive, and respectful for our colleagues and for all we serve.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities and local candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted proposals will be proceeded for further steps. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to make the final selection decision.