Consultancy Service for Legal Advice Services
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Consultancy service for Legal Advice Services
Oxfam is an international confederation of 19 organizations network together in more than 65 countries, as part of a global movement for change, to build a future free from the injustice of poverty. Oxfam has been working in Nepal for 40 years to support the Government of Nepal with the vision to create a just society without poverty; a society in which all women and men live a life of dignity, enjoy their rights and assume their responsibilities as active citizens of Nepal. Through its different program, it aims to provide people with livelihood opportunities, ensuring that development-related activities are demand driven and sustainable and that the most vulnerable are empowered to claim their rights.
Oxfam requires legal opinion and assistance on various matters related to different organizational functions like HR, finance, program and so forth. As an organization Oxfam respects the legal compliance and aims to be in line with the legal requirement as suggested by the Government of Nepal. Therefore, Oxfam is seeking for the consultant for legal advice.
A framework agreement will be done with the selected consultant/consultancy initially for a year and will be extended as per the organizational needs and requirements.
Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of this consultancy is to provide comprehensive legal service to Oxfam in Nepal on the organizational matters pertaining legal implications.
Scope of Services and Tasks/Activities to be completed
The overall scope of this consulting assignment includes following tasks/activities but are not limited to, the consultant will:
- Provide legal advice on the changes in labour law, its implication and amendments to be made in line with the changes
- Provide legal advice and solution in compliance with current laws on any matters related to Oxfam in Nepal
- Draft and review agreements, letters, legal documents which is technically accurate and in compliance with the organisation and country laws and policies.
- Interpret and apply the theoretical legal knowledge, so that it applies to practical organisational solutions.
- Represent Oxfam in Nepal in different forums in consultation with designated representative from the organisation.
- Provide legal solution to disputes/grievances and recommend as well as drafts and issue letters that are relevant to the law.
- Draft and review the legal filings and drafting technically correct opinions.
- Legal translation
- Written legal opinion
- Draft of Agreement (Law of contract)
- Draft of Letter/application/response to government office/court and to any other second party including staff
- Written synopsis of meeting and discussion
- Translate document
- Representation at government agencies/court as necessary
Note: Deliverables will vary as per the legal advice required.
Reporting Line Manager
This work is to be delivered to and overseen by the HR and Admin Coordinator.
Scope outputs will be signed off by Country Director in order to ensure full delivery and timeliness.
Duration: Start date and completion date
The estimated input of the consultant will initially be for one year and can be extended as per the Organisational needs and requirement.
Detail Budget breakdown
Note: number of unit can be decreased or increased depending upon need of Oxfam in Nepal. Bidding will be evaluated on the basis of unit price quoted by the consultant/consultancy firm.
Terms of Payment
The payment will be made quarterly after submission of report as per the service taken with full satisfaction evaluated by hiring manager.
On the basis of following criteria/minimum requirement proposal will be analysed
|S.N||Criteria||Score (out of 100)|
|1||Qualifications and knowledge on legal matters||25|
|2||Experience in providing legal advice to likeminded/INGO organization||25|
|3||Overall experience in providing legal advice||20|
|4||Cost of each assignment||30|
Documents for submission
- During proposal submission:
- A technical proposal including (maximum 5 pages)
- Description of how your/ organisation’s skills and experience match the TOR requirements,
- Description of proposed ideas, activities, strategies methodology, plan, and risks
- Financial proposal : should include the detail budget sheet
- CVs of legal expert/consultants/team
- VAT registration certificate
- Tax clearance certificate 2077/78
- Company Registration Certificate and renewal
- Company Profile of the consultancy firm
- List of similar experiences
- Contact detail (Name, designation, organisation, email ID and Phone no.) of at least 2 referees for similar work.
- After Contract signing
- Original VAT invoices to claim for expenses as per mentioned in the contract
- Summary of service (Work Completion Note) provided against the invoice submitted to the Organization
- Agreed time sheet of all involved consultants upon completion of project-signed by consultant and hiring manager
Required qualification and experience
- Master’s degree in Law/ legal system
- Knowledge of Nepal legislation and policies related to INGO work in the country
- At least 3 years of experience in working with I/NGOs
- Knowledge of governance and administrative structures of Nepal
- Excellent communication skills and diplomatic approach
- Ability to operate and work independently.
- Detailed oriented and strong organizational skills
The Consulting VAT Registered Firm should submit the technical and financial proposal to Oxfam by 10 August 2022 before 5 pm via mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly mentioning the title of assignment in the email subject line “Legal Advice Services” and not exceeding 15 MB.
The Consultant will be required to take all the necessary actions to handle the collected data responsibly (see Oxfam Responsible Data Policy) to ensure data privacy, anonymity, and confidentiality.
The data collection and the survey(s) should include an effective informed consent form that seeks consent from respondents after being informed on the purpose of this data collection, how the data will be stored, used, who will have access to the information, and they have to right to remove themselves from the survey at any point in time. A contact number should be communicated to them to do so. The informed consent should be obtained after providing this information in a concise and clear manner and in the most adequate language.
Our Commitment to Safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff, consultants, volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work within our values are selected to work for us.
Confidentiality / Non disclosure
All material issued in connection with this ToR shall remain the property of Oxfam and shall be used only for the purpose of this procurement exercise. All information provided shall be either returned to Oxfam or securely destroyed by unsuccessful applicants at the conclusion of the procurement exercise.
During the performance of the assignment or at any time after expiry or termination of the Agreement, the Consultant shall not disclose to any person or otherwise make use of any confidential information which s/he has obtained or may in the course of this agreement relating to partner organization/Oxfam, the respondents or otherwise.
The consultant will be required to sign a non disclosure/confidentiality agreement as part of their undertaking of this work.
Intellectual property, Copyright, and Ownership of all prepared information
The Consultant shall retain all rights to pre-existing (background) intellectual property or materials used by the Consultant in the delivery of this study. All arising intellectual property, ideas, materials, processes or processes formed in contemplation, course of, or as result of this study shall be passed to Oxfam without restriction.
The Consult shall warrant that all arising Intellectual Property, materials and/or products produced in pursuit of this study shall be original, and shall not infringe on any third party’s claim. All technical or business information, in whatever medium or format, originated, collated or prepared by or for the Consultant in contemplation, course of, or as result of this assignment shall be transferred to Oxfam without restriction on completion and shall not be used by the Consultant for any other purpose without express written permission of Oxfam’s Head of Programme Funding.
Copyright of all arising documents, data, information or reports produced by the Consultant under this agreement shall belong to Oxfam and will be passed to Oxfam without restriction. Such documents, data, information and reports shall not be used by the Consultant for any other purpose other than in conjunction with this assignment, without the express written permission of Oxfam’s Head of Programme Funding.