Term: 1 year commitment with potential option to extend
Start date: As soon as possible
Experience: Undergraduate Degree or equivalent work experience with at least 2 years of management/leadership experience
Industry: Rural Community Development, Design and Entrepreneurship, Finance
Karnali Ratna Overview:
The Oda Foundation, in tandem with local leaders, private partners and government support, develops integrative community development solutions for some of Nepal’s most geographically isolated communities. Headquartered in the district of Kalikot, the foundation has concentrated healthcare, education initiatives, and women’s empowerment programs while providing additional community needs as they are identified.
Karnali Ratna is Oda Foundation’s social enterprise that is focused on increasing Oda Foundation’s financial durability and decreasing long-term reliance on foreign donations. KR is also focused on promoting a green economy through nutrition education, business and livelihood.
KR’s focus is to bring in revenue that supports the Foundation’s operations and local community member livelihoods while also addressing challenges such as untouchability, patriarchy, menstrual taboos, domestic violence, illiteracy and food scarcity. Karnali Ratna seeks to mitigate these adversities through a sense of empowerment within the community through permaculture philosophies, job opportunities and stable incomes.
KR’s current focus areas are:
- Transportation – Jeep business that runs from Nepalgunj, Surkhet and Manma
- Agriculture – vegetable business
- Animals – buffalo milk and chicken business
The Sustainability Program Manager will be responsible for running Karnali Ratna’s day to day operations as well as strategically planning for the future. The PM will report directly to the Chief of Staff and CEO and will be responsible for finalizing monthly and quarterly reports to be submitted to the Karnali Ratna Board of Directors and funders.
The PM will focus on programmatic progress, team check-ins, capacity-building, and growth opportunities. This opportunity requires someone who is forward thinking, strategic and has an entrepreneurial mindset. There is flexibility in the future of KR and we are looking for someone
who wants to research, survey, prototype and build new businesses and functions in the Karnali region that are innovative, sustainable and benefit the community.
The 2022 goal of Karnali Ratna is to make a profit and the PM’s role will be focused on strategically reducing costs and increasing revenue across the 3 lines of business plus creating new revenue streams. We are looking for someone who can start a new business from scratch and be a thought leader within the organization.
- Lead weekly team meetings
- Design the future of our social enterprise through weekly strategy workshops, working with the community and Oda Foundation leaders. Which includes creating community surveys, working with leaders, and analyzing market research.
- Create marketing materials, outreach, curriculum development and strategic approach for upcoming volunteer agricultural programs TBD
- Account and manage day to day financials which includes writing up receipts for KR sales and distributing to staff / community.
- Own monthly financial reporting to the US board and donors.
- Own financial updates and monthly projections.
- Locate and apply for government grants in the agricultural and livelihood space.
Required Qualification & Experience
- Written and spoken Nepali and English fluency, Microsoft Office fluency
- Experience in business strategy and development, preferably in low income communities
- Experience with financial projections and financial literacy
- Entrepreneurial background is a plus
- Agricultural background is a plus
- Experience in design thinking / agile methodology for feedback and iteration is a plus
Successful Candidates Will Have:
- A strong desire to work on sustainable community development approaches
- A strong interest to live and work in the Karnali region
- A strong financial background
- An understanding of cultural norms and local dialect in the Karnali region
- A strong ability to communicate verbally and written in a Nepali context as well as a Western context
- Experience writing grant proposals
- Experience designing and/or implementing monitoring and evaluation methods
- Experience writing impact reports
- Experience leading a team and demonstrated strong leadership capability
- Enthusiasm towards cultivating a positive organizational culture
Benefits of joining Oda Foundation:
- Round trip once a year
- Health Insurance
- Lodging and Fooding
Enthusiasm and a connection with Oda values as listed below:
1. Care and Compassion
- We will demonstrate our compassion and caring through our actions and words
- We will take time to ensure each person feels listened to, secure, understood and is treated compassionately
- We will be approachable and contribute to creating a calm and friendly atmosphere
- We will provide a safe and caring setting for patients and staff, and an efficient, effective experience
- We will meet people’s needs for information and involvement
- We will be considerate, calm and proactive in solving problems.
- We will not be aggressive or passive aggressive to anyone.
2. Respect, Dignity & Justice
- We will demonstrate respect for all staff through our words and actions.
- We will all follow Oda rules, policies, and procedures.
- We will accept fair and equitable punishment for all.
- We will be polite and courteous in our communications and actions
- We will demonstrate respect for dignity, choice, privacy and confidentiality
- We will recognize and value uniqueness, diversity and different cultures.
- We will be sincere, honest and constructive in giving, and open to receiving, feedback
- We maintain a professional attitude and appearance.
- We will demonstrate a commitment to doing our best
- We will be responsible and reflect on our actions
- We will be accountable for our actions
- We will focus on our work and practice time management by meeting all proposed deadlines.
- We will encourage and explore ideas for improvement, innovation and creativity.
- We will seek out opportunities to enhance our skills and expertise
- We will work together to achieve high quality services
- We will use our knowledge and enthusiasm to implement positive change and overcome challenges
- We will be proactive in nature
4. Teamwork & Communication
- We will understand and value each other’s role and contribution
- We will be fair, thoughtful, welcoming and kind to colleagues, fellows and guests.
- We will communicate with each other and express our successes and our concerns.
- We will offer support and encouragement to others
- We will maximize each other’s potential and contribution through shared learning and development
- We will recognize, share and celebrate our successes, big and small
- We will practice coordination and collaboration interdepartmentally
- We will have a positive outlook and motivation
- We will demonstrate commitment to the Oda foundation, patients, staff and our guests.
5. Openness, Honesty and Responsibility
- We will build trust by displaying transparency and doing what we say we will do
- We will commit to doing what is right – even when challenged
- We will welcome feedback as a means of informing improvements
- We will use our resources and each other’s time efficiently and wisely
- We will maintain and enhance public confidence in our service
- We will be a positive role model