Position: Project Manager-Road Maintenance & Technical Assistance
Division: Project Delivery
Report to: Deputy Executive Director-Project Delivery
Background & Project Description
In September 2017, the U.S. Government’s Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) signed a $500 million compact agreement with the Government of Nepal (GoN). The compact aims to increase the availability and reliability of electricity, maintain road quality, and facilitate power trade between Nepal and India—helping to spur investments, and accelerate economic growth. The compact agreement is valid for a period of five years, and is currently in implementation stage, prior to Entry-Into-Force (EIF) at which time the five-year time period begins.
Pursuant to the aforementioned agreement, the entity charged with implementing the project has been established as the Millennium Challenge Account Nepal (MCA-Nepal) entity. This position will assume a critical role in the success of MCA- Nepal.
To ensure the timely and efficient implementation of the Road Maintenance Project (the Project), the Manager – Road Maintenance will oversee the project’s activities involving (i) Technical Assistance and (ii) Strategic Road Maintenance Works as set forth in the Compact and manage communications around their development, implementation and completion.
Duties and Responsibilities
The sub-activities of the Road Maintenance Project, for which the Project Manager is expected to be responsible include the following:
- Technical Assistance Activity:
- Improved data collection, techniques, and equipment;
- Preparation of appropriate road maintenance plans driven by economic justification;
- Improved prioritization of periodic maintenance;
- Improved contracting and contracting management, including improved road safety features; and
- Improved project management.
- Strategic Road Maintenance Works
- Pavement Recycling and Superpave Pilot Program;
- Matching Fund to finance periodic maintenance
Road Maintenance Manager Responsibilities:
- Manage and deliver all activities related to the Road Project as described above;
- Coordinate and provide needed information in a timely manner with the MCA-Nepal team, relevant Implementing Entities, and other cooperating partners, to execute the activities for the Project under the Program Implementation Agreement;
- Ensure stakeholder participation in Project implementation and represent MCA-Nepal in public forums with respect to the Project;
- Ensure and Approve all relevant project management tools are developed and updated in a timely manner, including but not limited to: work plans (schedules), procurement plans, detailed financial plans (budgets), risk management plans and scoping documents (activity descriptions, terms of references, );
- Development of a pilot pavement recycling and Super Performing Asphalt Pavements (Superpave) program for potential integration into the works projects;
- Ensure annual data collection of IRI, SDI and Deflections on Nepal’s Strategic Road Network (SRN) per the Compact and provide necessary remediation measures if needed to ensure GoN compliance;
- Recruit and manage consultant services to support data collection efforts and integration into the HMIS database to provide for annual road maintenance and rehabilitation plans;
- Ensure the GoN road maintenance matching fund requirements are being budgeted and allocated per the Compact and PIA requirements;
- Collection of all necessary documentation from the GoN to satisfy GoN requirements under the Compact and PIA;
- Identify additional MCA consulting resources to manage the road maintenance civil works in the field/office;
- Ensure contractual performance, including all aspects of contract performance management, of all road maintenance civil works contracts;
- Act as the focal point for communications between DOR and the MCA-Nepal, as well as the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport (MOPIT) and Roads Board Nepal (RBN);
- Assist MCA-Nepal Procurement team with technical inputs in any procurement activities which may be undertaken for the selection of a firm;
- Ensure Coordination with the DOR and other stakeholders for the formal review of design studies and drawings done by design consultants;
- Ensure coordination for approvals and permits during civil works, including but not limited to design modifications, variation orders and contract
- Review and submit quarterly progress reports in a timely manner;
- Approve reports from any Consultant/Contractor or Implementing Entities, and address any implementation problems and delays and recommend actions to keep Project progress on track;
- In accordance with MCA-Nepal fiscal procedures, approve disbursement requests or payment vouchers submitted by consultants or contractors funded under the project;
- Coordinate with the Environmental and Social Performance Director of MCA-Nepal to ensure the correct application of MCC and Government of Nepal environmental guidelines, policies and regulations in the execution of all Project Activities;
- Interface with MCC field staff based in Nepal and technical staff based out of Washington DC;
- Determine additional experts input requirements, identifying possible sources for these inputs, and assist Procurement Agent/staff on their procurement;
- Provide regular progress information and reports to DOR, MOPIT, and RBN as needed;
- Manage MCA-Nepal Project staff;
- Other tasks and responsibilities as requested by the ED of MCA-Nepal.
Required Qualification & Experience
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Technical Competencies)
- Bachelors’ Degree (Required) and Advanced (Master’s Degree or higher preferred) from a recognized institution in the following or equivalent fields: Civil Engineering, Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transport Engineering or equivalent field; (an additional 5 years of experience can be substituted for a Master’s )
- Preferred: Professional license or accreditation in Civil Engineering or equivalent field;
- At least 10 (ten) years’ experience preferred (notwithstanding whether earned before, after, or during pursuit of required academic qualification) in roads construction/rehabilitation projects;
- Managing projects of similar size, including preparing Terms of references for hiring consultants (designers, advisors, program managers), and construction contractors, preparing budgets for their hiring, managing budgets for social inclusion activities, evaluating the procurement processes, negotiating and awarding the contracts, and managing the hired consultants and contractors for a timely and quality implementation;
- Multilateral donor funded projects in the directly relevant sectors will be preferred; completed projects references will be given additional advantage;
- Previous experience in field data collection;
- Willing to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders;
- Responsible and flexible attitude and capable of working with minimal supervision;
- Computer skills (MS office, MS Project). HDM4 roads maintenance management software experience is advantageous;
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
This Position Description is subject to revisions/updates as necessary to ensure alignment to the organization’s strategic direction and structure. Revisions to the description are subject to applicable Human Resources policies and procedures, and official versions of each Position Description are maintained by Human Resources.
How to Apply
MCA-Nepal provides equal opportunities to all people applying for jobs irrespective of race, caste, religion, culture, and gender.
MCA-Nepal is currently in its preparatory phase of the Compact program before the start of implementation of projects. In this context, MCA-Nepal invites application for the positions given below with detailed job descriptions.
To apply: Please use the following link https://hrmis.mcanp.org/careers and apply by NPT 1700 hours (GMT + 5:45) by March 15, 2022, Tuesday.
The organization reserves the right to reject any/all applications without assigning any reason whatsoever. Canvassing at any stage of the process shall lead to automatic disqualification. These positions are open to all interested applicants, competitive local compensation package will be offered. Women, people of ethnic minorities and Dalits are highly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process.