UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been supporting the Nepalese people in their struggle against poverty since it opened an in-country office in 1963. Much of this support has gone to building up the capacity of government agencies, civil society and community groups to fight poverty, and to bringing these groups and Nepal’s donors together to design and implement successful poverty alleviation projects.
In parallel to the roll-out of its new Country Programme, 2018-2022, UNDP Nepal is reorganizing internally and moving towards strategically repositioning UNDP’s global contributions in support of the Sustainable Development Goals and collaboration with national development partners. Nepal is accelerating its agenda of federalization while reconciling aspects of its Constitution which have implications for how UNDP engage with central and local level authorities. Meanwhile, Nepal’s GNI continues to grow, making graduation from LDC status a scenario for which UNDP needs to begin planning and adapting to different models of development cooperation.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Human Resources Analyst, the Operations Assistant (HR) ensures execution of transparent and efficient Operations (HR) services in CO. The Operations Assistant (HR) promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The Operations Assistant (HR) works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of operational and HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of records and reports with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework;
- CO Operations business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management;
- Provision of information to the management and staff on strategies, rules and regulations.
Implements HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of draft job descriptions, vacancy announcements, compiling matrixes, performing functions of Secretary in interview panels;
- Preparation of contracts;
- Tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table;
- Collection of background information for submissions to the Compliance Review Panel;
- Update of the CO rosters;
- Maintenance of proper filing system for HR records and documents;
- Provision of information for cost-recovery bills in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of background information to TMRG;
- Provision of background information for drafting Whole Office Learning Plan and individual learning plans.
Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information for comprehensive and interim local salary, participation in the work of the LSSC, hardship and place-to-place surveys.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/projects staff;
- Contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ensure Gender and Social Inclusions (GESI) is prioritized in all human resource functions:
- Ensure that GESI considerations are made in the human resource functions;
- Ensure that GESI related results are well captured in the corporate reporting;
- Promote work life balance policy, prevention of sexual harassment policy and ensure gender and diversity principles practiced.
Core Competencies- Level 1
- Demonstrate focus on achieving quality results and impact
- Consistently strive to meet or exceed excellence standards
- Efficiently establish appropriate plans and resources for self and others to accomplish goals
- Hold self and others accountable for results
- Seek patterns and clarity outside boxes and categories while resisting false certainty and simplistic binary choice
- Look beyond conventional approaches and established methods
- Propose new ideas, approaches and solutions to problems
- Actively pursue opportunities for learning and self-development professionally and personally
- Keep abreast of new developments in one’s professional area
- Proactively seek feedback, demonstrates a desire to learn from others as well as from experiences, both positive and negative
- Contribute to the learning of others
Adapt with Agility
- Be flexible in handling change, and adopt new ideas, approaches and ways of working
- Seamlessly adapt to working within new situations or contexts, with new people, and in different ways
- Participate in, support, contribute to or drive meaningful change in UNDP
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and effectively managing multiple demands
Act with Determination
- Pursue everything with motivation and drive
- Not give up in the face of adversity and setbacks; demonstrate resilience and composure Demonstrate courage, self-motivation and initiative to act on opportunities without being prompted by others
- Be authentic and modest, get things done without unnecessary noise
Engage and Partner
- Establish and develop networks that deliver powerful collaborations
- Demonstrate and encourage teamwork and co-creation internally and externally to achieve joint objectives and results
- Act in a way that demonstrates empathy and emotional intelligence, showing consideration for the needs and feelings of others
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- Understand and appreciate issues from the perspective of others
- Treat all individuals with respect, consider ethical implications and respond sensitively to all differences among people
- Fully accept and value all people, creating an inclusive environment
- Understand that inclusion is multi-faceted (e.g. race, gender, age, disability, culture, etc.) and treat everyone fairly and equally
- Demonstrate honesty and transparency
Onboarding of Personnel
- Ensures smooth on-boarding of personnel including issuance of office ID, email address creation, office space, telephone extension, Argus profile set up, issuance of office ICT equipment, etc.
Offboarding of Personnel
- Ensures smooth off-boarding of personnel including necessary clearance forms for returning of office equipment, office ID, UNLP, cancellation of visa issued by host country, deletion of office email and Argus profile, etc.
Compensation and Benefits
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to compensation and benefits. Ability to advise and apply relevant policies.
Human Resources Management
- Knowledge of onboarding of staff, maintenance of HR documentation, provision of HR advisory services, execute separation processes.
- Understands and applies main processes and methods of HR Management. Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policy and procedures relating to HR and applies them consistently.
Learning and Development
- Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles, and ability to apply them to enhance the fulfilment and performance of employees.
- Knowledge of payroll processing, earnings and deductions
- Ability to manage organization, department and employee goals
Recruitment and Selection
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
- Knowledge of ERP (preferably PeopleSoft Human Resources modules)
Ethical Implications of Policy Development
- Consult on the ethical implications within all policy development and standard setting.
UN policy knowledge – ethics
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity
Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
How to Apply
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.