Location : Biratnagar, Janakpur, Surkhet and Dhangadi, NEPAL
Application Deadline : 29-Jan-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Apr-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : One year with possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment : December 2024
Enhancing Access to Justice through Institutional Reform Project-II (A2J-II) implementing under Nationally Implemented Modality (NIM), is the second Phase of Access to Justice project closed in 2021. Under the overall leadership of the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MOLJPA), the project will be implemented jointly and in a close partnership with UNDP Nepal.
The A2J Project II aims to enhance access to justice of women and other marginalized communities by strengthening the integrated legal aid services and criminal justice system in Nepal. Furthermore, the project focuses mainly on supporting the implementation of integrated legal aid frameworks by establishing necessary frameworks to deliver the justice at the local level, strengthening justice sector institutions to provide effective remedies to protect and promote the rights of women and marginalized groups as per the national and international commitment and empower women, and other marginalized groups, in particular Dalit, PWD, LGBTIQ + and Poor ones to claim their rights and participate in judicial governance/civic life.
The project will be implemented in a close coordination and partnership with government stakeholders at federal and sub-national level. The Attorney General Office, Justice sector actors, Nepal Bar, Province and Local Governments including Judicial Committees will be the partners to work in a coordinated manner to achieve overall goals of the project.
The Project aims to be implemented in four provinces namely, Sudurpaschim, Karnali, Province No.2 and Province N0. 1. The districts and local level will be selected through a rapid mapping exercise.
The Legal Aid Outreach Officer will assist the NPM and will facilitate implementation of the legal aid and access to justice components of the project. S/he will be based in each of the target provinces at provincial ministry looking after legal affair. S/he will liaise with provincial stakeholders to ensure coordination to ensure that the legal aid system is reformed so as to promote women and vulnerable group’s access to justice, in particular at provincial and local level.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall responsibilities of the assignment is to:
- Lead the establishment and effective functioning of legal aid outreach in the provinces in close coordination and collaboration with Chief Minister’s Office of the provinces and local government
- Provide technical inputs and coordinate the work on legal matters of the province and local government in the assigned Province for effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all activities of the project;
- Ensure close coordination and collaboration with all the justice sector stakeholders for the effective implementation of the project and involve in monitoring as well as reporting;
- Mainstream gender and social inclusion into planning and programming at the province level and strengthen legal aid outreach for women and marginalized groups and accountability;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the NPD/NPM and UNDP.
- Lead the establishment and effective functioning of legal aid outreach in the provinces in close coordination and collaboration with Chief Minister’s Office and Ministry related to the legal affair of the provinces and local government
- Assist NPM and project team in developing annual work plan, quarterly work plan in consultation with the provincial ministry of legal affair, provincial and local level justice sector actors;
- Identify the need of the provincial and local level justice sector actors and reflect them in the planning cycle;
- Support Provincial ministry related to legal affair in planning and management of legal and justice sector component and identify space for complementarity of the project activities;
- Assist the NPM and project team to facilitate implementation of the legal aid and access to justice components of the project in the provincial and local level;
- Lead implementation of project activities at the provincial and local level;
- Facilitate field visits and monitoring of the project team, consultant and implementing partners.
- . Provide technical inputs and coordinate the work on legal matters of the province and local government in the assigned Province for effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all activities of the project
- Offer technical inputs and legal advice to Provincial Ministry of legal Affairs and other justice sector actor in project intervention;
- Develop briefing note, mammographs, legal opinion, background papers, concept notes etc for smooth implementation of the project (as and when required);
- Review federal, provincial and local laws and provide feedback/inputs to the project team and partners for necessary reforms/planning;
- Provide technical input in the researches, studies and assessments commissioned by the project in timely manner;
- Provide technical advice for the implementation of legal aid activities and reforms to maximize impact and ensure realization of the expected outputs.
- Ensure close coordination and collaboration with all the justice sector stakeholders for the effective implementation of the project and involve in monitoring as well as reporting
- Support NPM and project team in monitoring the progress of the project implementation through timely submission of necessary documents (field report, event report, quarterly report, disaggregated data etc);
- Establish close contact with District Legal Aid Officers and oversee their reporting deadlines; ensure timely reporting of DLAC;
Compile report received from the DLAC lawyers and submit to CLAC and the Project with observation, lesson and good practices;
- Support NPM and the project team in preparation of progress report.
- Mainstream gender and social inclusion into planning and programming at the province level and strengthen legal aid outreach for women and marginalized groups and accountability
- Work closely with the GESI expert to ensure that the legal aid system is reformed so as to promote women and vulnerable group’s access to justice, in particular at provincial and local level;
- Promote the Good Governance principles of accountability, transparency, participation, non-discrimination and efficiency;
- Support to implement Accountability component of the project through technical input, legal analysis and information sharing.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the NPD/NPM and UNDP
- Work as a focal person of the A2J project at the sub-national level and map out the stakeholders and strengthen collaboration and strategic partnership for achieving project’s result;
- Enhance the complementarity and synergy with all other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high moral integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards, sound political judgment as well as diplomacy, impartiality and discretion and proven capacity of initiative, discretion and leadership;
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent understanding of approach legal and justice sector in Nepal;
- Strong knowledge on legal aid, access to justice and human rights issues;
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management, project cycle management;
- Good understanding of Nepal’s federal system, laws, bureaucracy specially justice sector actors;
- Ability to adapt to flexible and fluid situations;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to the coordinate, collaborate and build partnerships to maximize the project results;
- Ability to oversee, provide inputs and strategic advice to justice sector actors;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
- Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feed-back;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Effective communications skills and ability to establish good working relationships with national and international interlocutors;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive, fast paced environment with a minimum of comfort;
- Ability to travel under harsh conditions within the country whenever required.