UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, health.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Health Specialist (Child Health), the incumbent is accountable for supporting the national immunization programme through National Immunization Technical Working Group (NITWG) , MOHP- DoHS/FWD and LMS on immunization supply chain including the rollout of a COVID-19 vaccines, new and underutilised vaccines and overall supply chain system strengthening. Further, the incumbent will provide support and guidance to MOHP/DoHS and provincial health offices and vaccine stores preparing plan and support the organization, implementation, and monitoring COVID-19 vaccination rollout and new vaccine introduction.
Key function, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks
- Immunization programme development and planning
- Conduct/update situation analysis for the program sector/s for development, design, and management of COVID-19 and routine Immunization Supply Chain.
- Support the national, provincial and district immunisation and immunization supply chain/logistics planning through coordination with DOHS and UNICEF Operations Sections.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the programme review and approval process
- Contributes to the development and/or introduction/roll-out of COVID-19 and other new vaccines campaign and introduction, monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Effective programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss Immunization Supply Chain, operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision.
- Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Provides technical advice on specifications, supply and logistics arrangements, facilitating cost-effective efficient procurement, customs clearance, inventory management and distribution of supplies and equipment, in support of the country immunisation programme implementation.
- Keep records and share routine immunization and supply programme/project reports for management and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Technical and operational support to immunization programme implementation
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess Immunization and Supply Chain management progress, challenges and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks, and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on Immunization Supply Chain management issues to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Attends technical cooperation meetings and prepares notes and undertakes follow-up actions related to Immunization Supply Chain management programme implementation.
- Networking and partnership building in immunization supply chain system strengthening
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance Immunization Supply Chain system development, the implementation and build capacity of immunization work force at the partner to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Support in drafting communication and information materials for the country office CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for Immunization Supply Chain.
- Coordinates with the Operations/ Finance and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors, and submits financial status reports to the supervisor or section chief, as required.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building in immunization supply chain
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders on immunization supply chain and logistics operations.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies for efficient, effective, and timely delivery of Immunization supplies
Required Qualification & Experience
University degree in one of the following fields is required: pharmacy, public health, biomedical engineering, biomedical sciences, health policy and/or management, health administration, health sciences, or another relevant public health field
A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: immunization, supply chain management, public health planning and management, child health, control of infectious diseases and health emergency/humanitarian preparedness.
Relevant experiences in a UN system agency or organization is considered as key asset.
Language Proficiency [ I ]
Fluency in English and another UN language.
Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Persuading and Influencing [ 1 ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ 2 ]
- Learning and Researching (2)
- Planning and Organizing 
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required(for the job)
- Knowledge and skills in immunization programme
- Immunization supply chain, cold chain and effective vaccine management
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required(for the job group)
- General knowledge of complex systems thinking in the design and implementation of health interventions
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced(for the Job)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.