Forcier is a multi-disciplinary research and monitoring & evaluation firm operating across Africa and the Middle East since 2011. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently has offices in South Sudan, Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, and Uganda.
Job Description: Forcier Consulting seeks an experienced Human Resources manager for the anticipated five (5)-year USAID/Nepal Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Activity. This position will work as part of a strong consortium including local Nepali organizations.The MEL Activity will provide USAID/Nepal with technical and advisory services for monitoring; evaluations; research, assessments, and data analysis; geographic information services (GIS); and collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) activities. This position is open to international candidates but Nepali citizens are preferred.
Strengths needed to do this role well:
- In-depth knowledge of the Nepalese Labor Regulations. Knowing the labor law is paramount to being successful in this position, as you are Forcier’s ambassador at the Labor Board and the Labor Board’s ambassador at the Forcier office. You are the person who puts the two together to ensure compliance and Forcier’s best interests work together.
- Trustworthiness. HR is all about trust. It is about building trust with employees so they feel free to bring issues or suggestions to you. It is about building trust with management that you can keep confidential information, confidential.
- Team-building skills. This job is about helping Forcier build the strongest team possible. Being able to identify issues before they arise and find solutions to problems that are always fair and future looking is essential to this role.
- Organization. The HR officer has to be meticulous in their record keeping and daily organization. Sometimes HR is the busiest department in the office and to make sure nothing falls through the cracks requires organization and a keen ability to prioritize.
- Communication is everything. You need to be a skilled communicator. You need to know how to speak to different personality types, different nationalities, different individual needs. You need to be able to gain the respect of your colleagues, while also setting boundaries for yourself. You need to communicate clearly what your role is, how you are there to help, and what limitations you face.
Reports to: Director of Field Operations
- Support activity start-up, recruitment, and country registration process
- Work closely with MEL technical staff in preparing for and responding to MEL activity needs for consultants, subcontracts, and any other requests
- Manage recruitment processes for all local staff and consultants, including developing scopes of work, reviewing and interviewing candidates, negotiating with selected candidates and conducting due diligence checks (references, salary, and education)
- Manage HR processes for all local staff and consultants, including onboarding, training, performance evaluations, ensuring staff and consultants have all necessary equipment, and providing ad hoc support to staff and consultants
- Responsible for maintaining the database with up-to-date information on potential consultants and partners, and contracting them quickly when needed
- Ensure project management is USAID compliant
- Manage procurement and subcontracting processes efficiently, meeting the requirements of Forcier policies, USAID regulations, and local laws
- Other duties as assigned by the human resources and contracts director
Forcier aims to be an employer of choice in Nepal. As a result, we offer competitive daily rates as well as on-the-job training opportunities to attract and retain the best talent available.
Required Qualification & Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Anthropology, Political Science, English, International Development Studies, or another relevant social science topic.
- 5 years of relevant work experience in human resources management
- Minimum one (1) year experience working on USAID- or other U.S. government-funded projects
- Experience recruiting, onboarding, and managing consultants
- Experience preparing and managing subcontracts
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations preferred
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and adapt to frequently changing priorities
- Fluency in oral and written Nepali; strong English oral and written communication skills
- Must be authorized to work in Nepal
Forcier isn’t the place for everyone. But for those who do find us to be a good fit, they can’t imagine being anywhere else. Our company operates with five immutable laws. If these don’t resonate with you, working with us probably won’t be a good fit for you. If they speak to you, you’ll find a new home with us.
- Be nice or leave. All our staff deserve to be treated professionally and with respect. Discrimination, racism, tribalism, sexism, and neo-colonialist language will not be tolerated. This applies to our clients as well.
- This is a stress free zone. The places where we work are stressful enough, we don’t need to add extra pressure. Increasing stress increases the likelihood of errors. We all work to minimize stress together.
- We embrace a strong work ethic and a strong rest ethic. We believe that balance is critical to long-term success. We all work together to avoid burnout on our teams and ensure that team members have the opportunity to frequently and regularly take complete time off. We recognize the needs for every team member may be unique depending on their individual circumstances.
- Safety first. We never put staff or partners in harm’s way for any reason, and we do not ask staff to go places or complete work with which they do not feel personally comfortable – for any reason.
- Quality is paramount. We stand behind the integrity of our work. We don’t cut corners and we deliver the absolute best product possible every single time, both internally and externally.