ICIMOD – a unique regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge centre based in Nepal, is looking for a qualified and experienced senior professional to serve as the Head of Human Resources (Head of HR). We work on behalf of the people of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) and our eight Regional Member Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan.
We have just developed a new strategy (2023–2030), which will frame the next two Medium Term Action Plans – MTAP V (2023–2026) and MTAP VI (2027–2030). This is a very challenging position that would play a critical role in strengthening our organisational structure and management of human resources in line with our strategic ambitions and based on our organisation’s core values and culture.
Would you like to join us on this exciting journey?
If you have what it takes to manage the human resources of this unique intergovernmental organisation, this is the right moment for you to consider joining us. We are looking for a senior professional with varied experience who demonstrates strategic thinking, is business oriented, and has excellent human relations and communication skills to support the directorate. You should also be someone with proven leadership abilities with good social analytical skills who is results driven, innovative, and motivated to make a positive difference.
You will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal, and working with a multidisciplinary, cross-cultural, and impact-oriented team in a vibrant working environment.
As Head of HR, you will lead the team of HR professionals working with well embedded HR systems and procedures.
Responsibilities and task
Under the direct supervision of the Director Administration and Finance and the overall guidance of the Director General, and in close cooperation with the other Administration and Finance Unit Heads, the Head of HR is responsible for the following:
- Organizational Development and Strategic HR Management
• Lead on all aspects related to HR management and development
• Advise ICIMOD Directors and Senior Management on issues of Strategic HR and Change Management, and Organizational Development in line with ICIMOD Strategy 2030
• Collaborate closely with Senior Management to shape a workforce and workplace culture that is coherent with ICIMOD’s vision, mission and core values and enables ICIMOD to deliver on its Strategy (2023-2030)
• Work closely with Managers to ensure that ICIMOD’s core values are expressed coherently in all aspects of its work practices and relations. In line with this, support managers to ensure that all employees feel valued and heard in an inclusive and safe workplace environment
• Lead on processes to align and adjust roles and respond to the people and HR implications of changes to business processes, systems, and technology in line with the new organizational structure
• Ensure high quality HR data management, tracking and analyses of key metrics to support HR service delivery as well as choices and decisions in collaboration with Senior Management
- Strategic staffing
• Institute timely and efficient HR planning processes, including implementation of succession planning, and forecasting of human resources requirements
• Advise management on workforce planning, assess the workforce per function, skill, level, gender balance, and geographic diversity and ensure that our workforce contains an optimal mix of competencies within the organisation
• Develop and implement a recruitment strategy to balance representation of ICIMOD’s member countries in recruitment with particular attention to gender balance, diversity, and other factors at leadership levels
- Professional development and capacity building
• Lead the development of an inclusive and future-fit corporate Learning and Development (L&D) Strategy for ICIMOD that ensures professional and career development opportunities for all staff and support ICIMOD to grow as a learning organisation
• Develop and ensure implementation of annual training and development plans derived from the overall L&D Strategy as well as inputs from performance management processes and emerging learning needs expressed by managers and staff
• Advise managers and staff on training, learning, team effectiveness and career development issues providing guidance on opportunities available within ICIMOD’s L&D strategy
- HR Policy
• Advise ICIMOD management and staff on HR policy matters and provide policy clarification and interpretation as and when required
• Ensure compliance and adherence to HR standard operating procedures
• Prepare periodic updates of the HR Policy, as and where necessary, for Board approval
- Performance Management
• Review the current performance management system and make recommendations for improvements.
• Support managers and staff to ensure effective use of the performance management system, further updating and adapting it to fit the organizational structure and strategy, as per the need
• Ensure smooth operation of the end of year reward/promotion decision making process
• Coordinate wellbeing initiatives in coordination with the Staff Club to enhance staff engagement and strengthen their physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Management and Coordination
• Effectively manage the HR/OD Unit, including planning, budgeting, and task delegation
• Supervise the smooth functioning of:
– Recruitment, appointment, contracting, and annual contract renewals, to ensure that all staff members, short-term staff, and interns are issued timely contracts and that complete documentation is received upon their appointment
– Effective induction and onboarding processes for all staff
– Maintaining consultancy roster and individual consultancy contracting
– Administering insurance and provision of benefits, to ensure that all staff and short-term appointees receive eligible benefits according to the HR Policy
– Maintaining HR filing system and ensure that all personnel files are complete and up to date according to the HR Policy
Supervise and manage performance of HR/OD Unit members, including performance appraisal and capacity development, and provide constructive feedback as and where needed
Required Qualification & Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Law, Business Administration with specialization in Human Resources / Organisational Development, Organisational Sociology, Organisational Psychology, or a related field, with additional relevant experience and/or advanced training/courses
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in Human Resources and Organizational Development, of which at least 5 years are at international level, preferably gained in the HKH region or in a bilateral/ multilateral organization or a knowledge/research institute or INGO
- Work experience gained in one of ICIMOD’s Regional Member Countries is a strong added advantage
- Strategic thinking: Evaluates issues from different perspectives to formulate plans and strategies to achieve long-term goals
- Leadership: Optimizes resources around long-term plans and programmes while setting high standards and creates conditions that enable the team to perform at its best
- Cross-cultural impact: Works very effectively in a multicultural environment by embracing diversity and integrating best practices from different cultures in workplace relationships
- Result orientation: Maintains a consistent focus on delivering both short- and long-term goals and is highly focused on delivering quality outcomes and impacts
- Teamwork and cooperation: Provides information to and shares resources with other units, and leads teams comprising people with different skill sets at various institutional levels through collaborative decision-making processes
- Market awareness: Seeks market opportunities for new developments and proactively responds to market challenges
- Behavioural flexibility and managing change: Adapts to change and adjusts to new circumstances while helping others do the same
The Head of HR will report to the Director Administration and Finance
The duty station is Kathmandu; frequent travel in the region may be required.
Three years, with a probation period of six months, preferable starting October 2022, with a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD`s future funding levels
Salaries and benefits at ICIMOD are competitive with other international organizations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes provident fund, health insurance, severance pay, education grant, and paid leave. For expatriates there is tax exemption in Nepal; they are responsible for home country tax payments as applicable. Expatriate staff are also entitled to home leave ticket, as well as a removal and installation allowance. Remuneration is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and equity policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD upholds a gender equity policy and is supportive of women professionals. It operates a day-care centre at the campus and is committed to the integration of gender equity at organizational and programmatic levels.