Objectives, duties, areas of responsibility
1. Objectives of the position
The objective is to implement existing financial management standards in the programmes and projects efficiently and promptly, thereby making a significant contribution towards the success of the programme work. This involves:
Ensuring that the projects' / project's financial administrative processes at the project
location are auditable and efficient and carrying out financial administrative controls at project level;
Supporting the Head of Project perform his/her supervisory duties within the framework of project administration
If necessary, instructing and supporting project partner organisations (PPO) in matters relating to financial management so that they fulfil their contractual obligations towards Welthungerhilfe and co-financers in accordance with the partner contract and in an auditable manner.
2. Duties and area of responsibility
2.1. Duties with own area of responsibility
The main focuses of areas of responsibility are based on Welthungerhilfe’s valid rules and standards and project administrative process descriptions and progress reports. The Finance Officer of the project is responsible for:
- Ensuring that project funds are correctly managed according to the specifications of Welthungerhilfe and co-financers.
This includes: liquidity planning of project, fund requests, bank transactions, bookkeeping, preparing of end-of-month accounts and of prompt financial reports / the financial part of reports on expenditure of funds in cooperation with Head of Finance in Country Office
- Ensuring that documentation of data, account assignment and bookkeeping entries are carried out correctly in bookkeeping Software
- Ensuring costs are cleared internally within a project or between projects (correct allocation of costs)
- Preparing documentation that Head of Project and/or PPO can assume budgetary responsibility (expenditure and budget control)
- Preparing annual account documents in cooperation with Head of Project and Head of Finance in Country Office
- Preparation of refunds/returns/final fund requests to donors
- Instructing, advising and supervising of local administrative staff
- Making purchases and awarding of contracts according to valid regulations (of Welthungerhilfe and co-financers)
- Monitoring and correctly processing relief supplies and other equipment, particularly in terms of compliance with import regulations, monitoring inventory accounting, physical inventory inspections
- Correctly managing project inventory and vehicle fleet
- If applicable: Supporting PO implement project according to co-financing agreement and Welthungerhilfe standards
2.2 Duties without own area of responsibility
- Supporting Head of Project prepare or revise project / co-financing budget in terms of formal correctness
- Regularly informing Head of Project about the projects financial status
- Supporting the Head of Project with the liquidity planning of the project
- Checking of national law and the relevance for Welthungerhilfe
- Ensuring correct personnel management within the project. This involves in particular: preparing and monitoring contractual standards for local staff
- Preparing visits (journalists, staff from head office, representatives of co- financers, etc.) and supervising visitors
- Fulfillment of any other tasks which are assigned by the management and correspond in general with the character of this position
2.3 Specific Activities and duties of the position
To be filled in or described individually by the Country Director or immediate superior
- Support partners in financial accountability by reviewing and verifying accounts/project expenses, invoices, fund transfers, budget control, fund accountability statement and cash and bank reconciliations.
- Pro-actively advise partners on timely fund requests, financial amendments in the project and timely financial reporting in line with WHH and donor requirements and standards.
- Building the capacity of partners on financial management of WHH projects including budget planning and monitoring according to the Detailed Implementation Plans (DIP), Cost and Financing Plans and Procurement Plans.
- Conduct training and coach partners on financial, procurement and logstic administration of projects.
- Ensure financial accountability in WHH projects including alerting partner and WHH management team in case of issues and challenges, underspendings etc.
- Ensure the verification and depositing of local taxes in project locations.
- Ensure timely registration and renewal of WHH vehicles in projects.
- Support partners in, and verify, effective and efficient administrative and financial filing and documenting to ensure proper audits can be conducted.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Country Director, the Head of Programmes or the Head of Finance (direct line-manager).