The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of low and middle income countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA). The World Bank is a component of the World Bank Group. The World Bank's most recently stated goal is the reduction of poverty
|Term Duration:||4 years 0 months|
|Recruitment Type:||Local Recruitment|
|Required Language(s):||English, Nepali|
|Closing Date:||2/4/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC|
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
External and Corporate Relations Vice-Presidency (ECR)
The mission of External and Corporate Relations (ECR) is to help deliver financial and political support for the World Bank Group, strengthen the Bank Group’s role as a global thought leader in development by enhancing and safeguarding its reputation, and supporting operational teams to achieve country outcomes. ECR manages corporate communications and global engagement with key stakeholders, including media, civil society, foundations, private sector, donor countries, and international organizations, as well as employee engagement. ECR also manages strategic communications for the World Bank’s Regions and Global Practices and leads the management of reputation risk.
ECR South Asia Region Department (ECRSA)
The South Asia External and Corporate Relations Department (ECRSA) manages strategic communications in support of the Bank’s work in the South Asia Region (SAR). In particular, the communications program is directed at building understanding and support for the work of the World Bank and ensuring the full spectrum of views and information is brought into the Bank’s decision-making.
The mission of ECRSA is to connect and engage with diverse stakeholders to communicate about the World Bank’s mission to end poverty and boost shared prosperity, promote an informed and evidence-based debate about development in the region, and enhance the Bank’s reputation as an effective development partner for the countries of South Asia. ECRSA’s key audiences include government officials, think tanks and researchers, business leaders, civil society organizations, development partners, journalists, and internal decision makers within the World Bank.
The World Bank in South Asia: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/sar
The World Bank in Nepal: https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/nepal
ECRSA is offering a 4 -year term full-time staff position of an External Affairs Associate in Kathmandu, Nepal. The External Affairs Associate plays an important role in planning and implementing the communications strategy to support the country program in Nepal. His/her role will be to work on the design and implementation of effective communications and outreach strategies in order to raise awareness and understanding about the World Bank and development challenges in Nepal. The External Affairs Associate works under the day-to-day supervision of the External Affairs Officer in Kathmandu, Nepal and reports to the External Affairs Manager for the South Asia Region, who is based in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Help to develop, execute, and monitor the impact of routine- to medium-profile communications strategies and campaigns.
• Make strategic use of digital communication platforms including social media by designing social media campaigns, producing multimedia pieces, blogs and web stories, social media posts to promote results of Bank operations and support public discussion on the development agenda.
• Promote and manage the social media channels of the World Bank Office in Nepal – Twitter and Facebook, besides contributing to the South Asia social media channels, while also measuring metrics per World Bank requirement.
• Maintain and update the Nepal Country Office external web page.
• Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries about the Bank from all constituencies to enhance two-way communications and dialogue with key audiences, presenting complex information on sometimes difficult issues. This may include giving oral presentations to small- to medium-sized target groups within and/or outside the Bank that have a general interest in Bank activities.
• Support the External Affairs Officer to oversee planning and coordinate scheduling, logistics and briefings for sometimes large communications activities and events (e.g., VIP visits, press conferences, seminars, media, etc.)
• Familiarize self with the World Bank’s ‘Access to Information’ policy and provide guidance on information policy where required.
• Maintain an editorial and events calendar for the Nepal office.
• Oversee daily media monitoring of the Nepal country office.
• Compile and oversee production of the monthly country e-newsletter and contribute to quarterly one-CMU newsletter.
• Carry out any other communications activities as needed.
Master’s degree in Communications or relevant discipline (International Relations Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Economics, or Development Studies) and 5 years of professional experience.
• Excellent written and spoken command of English and Nepali.
• Excellent website production skills including: HTML coding, CSS, and Dreamweaver
• Proficiency in editing images using Photoshop. Ability to do functional video-editing and embed video and multimedia into web pages
• Extensive experience with using multiple Web Content Management Systems, like Adobe CQ5, Adobe Analytics, Adobe Campaign, and platforms like Hootsuite and Talkwalker
• Working knowledge/functional proficiency in online performance measurement and impact analysis tools to analyze usage and trends; ability to research, identify, and map intended audiences and stakeholders, and to leverage communication tools and methodologies.
• Proven ability to manage sensitive/confidential information, demonstrating good judgment and care.
• Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to function as a team player, within and across teams, and deliver on complex and sometimes parallel tasks on tight deadlines.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.