Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
Knowledge/qualifications and Experience:
- Technical Accounting Expertise: Fully qualified Accountant (ACCA, ACA or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Masters in Finance/Accounting or Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy with significant Grant Management experience.
- Grant management: Skilled financial accountant with knowledge of financial management of restricted donor funding, reporting, procurement procedures, grant management, grant equipment, donor rules and regulations for non-profit organisations.
- Budget management and Auditing: Strong leadership experience in budget management (including project budgets), financial planning and analysis. Knowledge of Internal, External and Project Audit. Coordinates financial auditing in closed consultation with donor agencies and consortium partners.
- Partnership Management: Strong knowledge and perspective on working for CSOs capacity building in CSOs focused projects. Providing oversight and technical support to the partners on system strengthening is essential.
- Financial Business Partnering: Service oriented, customer focused approach. Experience of working in and understanding a global organisation, using knowledge to analyse and interpret financial information to support management.
- Financial and Risk Management: Strong financial and risk management skills (including ability to understand and work with restricted funds and full cost recovery concepts, and project funding issues); understanding of financial management policy and excellent budget monitoring and management skills.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software and reporting packages with preference to SUN system.
- Travel requirement: Able to travel in a rural area in country and internationally occasionally and spend time away from work- base location and home.
Desirable Criteria: (skills that could be an advantage in the role)
- EU Grant management: It is preferred that candidates have either directly engaged in EU grant management or worked in organization that is sub-grant receipt of EU grant to acquaint about EU grant management operational modalities.
- Communication and Influencing Skill: Strong written and verbal communication skills – able to listen, analyse, present, consult, negotiate with confidence and obtain stakeholder engagement. Able to effectively communicate complex financial information to a wide range of audiences and experience of remote and cross-cultural communication, demonstrating sensitivity to cultural and language differences.
- Time management skill: prioritization skills, decision making skills, focus of the program, coping skills etc.
- People management: Experience of managing staff with the ability to develop, coach and motivate a high performing team and empower others to apply good grant management principles.
- Flexibility: Ability to manage grant in a changing context, recognising and being open to ambiguity, uncertainty and opportunities.
- Facilitation and conflict management: Experience of facilitating capacity building interventions. Sound moderation and mediation skills. Experienced on exploring solutions and providing strategic leadership in suggesting ways forward.
Information Technology – Good level of computer skills (Windows, Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook, Internet).
Travel requirement: Able to travel in country and internationally occasionally and spend time away from work- base location and home.
Commitment to VSO’s mission, values, People First principles and core approaches (Social Inclusion and Gender, Social Accountability, and Resilience).
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
- VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
- VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we are protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we are protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.