Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Director of Communications for Asia will be responsible for building the capacity of country/Signature Program Communication staff to meet their communication needs. The Director will work with the country teams to identify regional media opportunities – managing regional media requests to appropriately position Heifer in the international development arena. The Director will also drive the development of a regional brand identity, in collaboration with the regional programs team, country/signature programs Communications teams and the Global Communications Team, and in line with the global Heifer brand. In addition, the Director will develop and manage reputational risk matrices, support regional business development initiatives and collaborate with the Global Communications Team.
We are looking for candidates that are located in any of the following countries in Asia: Cambodia, Nepal, Bangladesh, and India.
Essential Character Traits:
Highly motivated, good relationship builder, energetic and positive, team builder, strives for a shared vision, impact-driven, innovative, well-organized, strong business acumen, pro-active stance, respect for procedures and norms, curious, analytical, socially sensitive, values-oriented, conviction towards holistic sustainable development.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Communication Strategy Development and Implementation (40%)
- Lead development of a Regional Strategy Plan for Communications (resource production/public relations) within the context of the Asia Region, targeting key stakeholders with a vision to increase Heifer’s visibility and profile.
- Support country Communication teams in the Asia region to develop and implement their Country Communication Strategy.
- Build capacity of Country Communication teams.
- Liaise with Business Development and Resource Mobilization teams, and the Programs team about end use of products, keeping the Global Communication Team fully informed.
- Research industry and market trends and identify original and compelling themes/stories to incorporate into Asia region executive communications.
B. Production and Content Development (30%)
- Oversee the production of all necessary resources to build the image of Asia programs internally and externally in line with Heifer International brand guidelines and templates developed by the Global Communications Team.
- Oversee the development of a workable schedule to produce promotional, educational and organizational print/video resources in a timely manner.
- Write/edit promotional and educational articles for internal use and for publication in the Asia region publications. Collaborate with the Global Communications Team on articles for global channels.
- Collaborate with graphic designers for first-rate materials and manage projects from conception to completion in line with Heifer International’s brand guidelines and templates.
- Perform substantive content editing of all promotional/educational pieces produced by Heifer’s Asia programs using materials produced by the Regional Knowledge Manager and for the use of Resource Mobilization and Business Development at country, regional and global levels.
- Supervise the production and dissemination of analytical reports, success stories, case studies, best practices, capacity statements and lessons learned to increase the profile of Heifer’s work in Asia.
- Support Resource Mobilization and Business Development staff in the region to develop pitch narratives and communication materials in close collaboration with regional MELs and Knowledge Managers.
- Ensure that all work is accurately copy-edited and that permissions and copyrights are obtained.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of Heifer Asia’s programs as well as regional monitoring of the topics of interest in the sector.
- Engage with senior executives and business leaders to develop key messaging, themes/topics, style/tone, target audiences and appropriate communications channels at the regional level.
- Leverage communications to develop communications products to advance organizational goals.
- Identify, write and edit a broad range of executive-level communications for internal and external audiences globally, working in collaboration with the Global Communications Team, including speeches and talking points, op-eds, letters, management memorandums, client communications and employee-related news and information.
C. Media and External Relations (20%)
- Direct the work of Heifer’s Asia public relations firm, conveying the Marketing/Communication and regional needs, developing action plans for meeting with them and initiating other promotional activities.
- Build and maintain regional media lists.
- Respond to media requests for interviews and information; see that requests for images are responded to promptly.
- Inform Senior Leadership and the Global Communications team about significant coverage.
- Maintain records of media alerts, news releases and media coverage.
- Maintain Heifer Asia’s presence in social media using appropriate support and messaging.
- Create and maintain relationships with key business and trade media outlets that can lead to increased visibility for Heifer’s Asia programs, their key initiatives and campaigns in the market.
D. Reputational Risk (5%)
- Develop and manage Asia region risk matrix using the framework provided by Global Communications Team and gathering information from countries.
- Provide regular updates to the Vice President of Communications on regional reputation issues.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)