Job title: Administrative Associate
Level: ICS-7 (G7)
Position Number: 171855
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Full/Part-time: Full time
Fixed-term/Temporary: Fixed Term
Duration: One year (renewable)*
The Administrative Associate position is located in Kathmandu in Nepal Country Office (CO). The incumbent reports to the International Operations Manager and is responsible for supervising other support staff in the team. The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects staff in the CO and with UNFPA Headquarters (HQs) staff which includes Facilities Branch and Procurement Services Branch for resolving complex procurement, admin and asset-related issues and information exchange.
The Administrative Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient services and processes in the Nepal Country Office. The Administrative Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in accordance with Financial Rules and Regulation, relevant administrative/asset policies, and Procurement procedures of the UNFPA.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the United Nations sexual and reproductive health agency, working to a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices against women and girls. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who uphold the values enshrined in the United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Administrative Associate provides oversight, manages and implements the overall administrative and procurement services to internal and external clients, mastering all relevant rules and regulations, guidelines, processes and procedures. S/he is responsible for the execution of varied and inter-related operational activities in UNFPA Nepal CO, ensuring high quality services and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a clientoriented and results-oriented approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines in the service of the country office The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project staff in the CO and other UN agencies to exchange information and ensure consistent quality service delivery, and advises managers in the matters under his/her responsibilities.
- Leads the implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNFPA rules and regulations, guidelines, processes and procedures.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
- Provides oversight to ensure effective and efficient provision of administrative support services together with Administrative Assistant, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supportive supervision and oversight of the administrative staff, ensuring quality and client-oriented services as well as compliance with the rules and regulations.
- Oversight of the Administrative Assistant and Drivers, including the efficient coordination of Drivers daily schedules assigned to them and in completing required tasks, vehicle management and maintenance, obtaining fitness certificates, issuing fuel credit vouchers to petrol pump and preparing monthly fuel consumption reports.
- Oversight of the travel arrangements, including compliance with UN DSS requirements and the efficient provision of protocol/logistic support services to incoming visitors and others, obtaining visas for them through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and handling customs related issues.
- Effective and efficient implementation of all administrative related ad hoc issues/matters, as needed, including supervision of messenger and receptionist.
- Leads store management and inventory/asset management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Responsible for handling office Inventory Management, maintaining non-expendable inventory of the country office, preparing monthly/yearly change reports and reconciliation statements and submitting to HQ as required.
- Responsible for handling store management, maintaining office stores for supplies/office stationery, preparing yearly/monthly consumption reports and notifying purchase requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining/replacing office assets/equipment and ensuring its proper functioning, preparing cases for obsolete/old equipment for discarding/disposing from the inventory record.
- Oversees the provision of reliable and quality office supplies.
- Performs the role of Assets Focal Point, i.e., organize periodic physical inventory inspections, recording and preparing updated inventory reports.
- Reviews and updates the office inventory report before submitting the annual assets report of the Assets Manager for certification.
- Coordinates with project teams/sub-offices/field offices to ensure project assets are appropriately recorded and maintained.
- Provides leadership to ensure effective administrative, procurement and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepares and monitors the administrative budget and ensures financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures. Proposes procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency and responds to audit issues.
- Provides inputs for all relevant sections of the Budgets.
- Follows-up on the implementation of the management audit recommendations and other tasks in the areas of administration and procurement.
- Implements the control mechanisms for administrative services, maintenance of administrative control records, such as, commitments and expenditures.
- Oversees the review, research, verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative and procurement rules and regulations; ensures creation of vendor setup information in ERP System;
- Oversees proper inventory/asset control; and supervises proper issuance of inventory/asset items and supplies.
- Oversees the review of travel authorizations, documentations, and payments.
- Assists the IOM in the preparation of budgets, audits and other reports.
- Provides researched information, reports for audit and risk management exercises.
- Ensures the Go Green initiatives in the office are fully implemented.
- Leads common services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Reviews and prepares materials for common system activities relating to common services and premises, cost recovery, security, etc. and represents UNFPA in related inter-agency meetings, including for Business Operations Strategy activities.
- Ensures proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
- Work with Admin/Finance Associates and Programme Associate/Assistants to ensure relevant agreements, MoUs, etc. are in place for common premises and/or premises directly contracted by UNFPA, and its management and admin services related to it.
- Support to Staff and Personnel in Security Management, as the alternate Security Focal Point for UNFPA Nepal, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports and assists the International Operations Manager in ensuring SRM (MOSS) and RSM (MORSS) compliance by all CO staff and personnel in a timely manner.
- Maintains staff and personnel lists and ensures that these are kept up to date and shared with UNDSS, as necessary.
- Maintains and regularly updates the UNFPA communication tree for all UNFPA staff and personnel, including testing it periodically.
- Supports the International Operations Manager to ensure that relevant equipment (satellite phone/radio, etc.) are available to staff and personnel and in good working condition for use as and when necessary.
- Liaises with UNDSS on all relevant security matters, including clearances and advisories.
- Provides leadership to promote knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participates in the training events for the operations/ projects staff on administrative and security matters.
- Makes sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Assists in provision of capacity building in administrative matters and security to CO and co-operating agencies/partners.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the CO leadership.
How to Apply
How to apply: UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
A full job description of the position can be accessed at https://erecruit.partneragencies.org and only applications using this link will be accepted.
Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at https://www.unfpa.org/resources/step-step-guide-applying-jobs-unfpa. Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all, including persons with disabilities.