UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, agency, and leadership across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation, and contribute to tangible differences in their lives. The UN Women Nepal’s Strategic Note (SN) for the period 2018-2022 lays out the agency’s unique role and comparative advantage in supporting national stakeholders in advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women in line with internationally agreed normative standards. The SN is aligned with and contributes to Nepal’s national priorities and commitments as described in the Nepal Constitution 2015 and the Fifteenth Periodic Plan, the needs of women’s organizations, and the UNDAF 2018-2022 with a commitment of leaving no one behind. UN Women will advance its efforts in Nepal in accordance with its unique role and triple mandate (normative, operational and coordination) and lessons learned to “achieve gender equality and social inclusion and empower women and girls in Nepal to realize their human rights” (Nepal Country Office SN Goal Statement).
Reporting to Operations Manager, the Administrative Associate supports the Office Operations by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality, and results-oriented approach. The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff team to ensure consistent service delivery and to resolve complex administration related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Coordinate and organize administrative Human Resources services
- Provide substantive inputs to recruitment processes and contract management; liaise with the HQ as necessary;
- Create and upload vacancy announcements and organize interview panels;
- Maintain staffing lists and reports;
- Assume overall responsibility for attendance and leave management monitoring;
- Provide support in personnel administration for international and national staff as appropriate (e.g. renewal of UNLPs, visas; extension of contracts, administration of national benefits and allowances; administration of home leave entitlements);
- Prepare staffing/personnel related reports; research and draft responses to enquiries for clearance by the Operations Manager.
2.Prove general administration and operations support to the CO in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and strategies
- Prepare work plan for administrative team;
- Coordinate and supervise administrative support staff in the CO;
- Coordinate and supervise shipments and customs clearance arrangements;
- Coordinate and supervise travel arrangements;
- Coordinate and facilitate the organization of conferences, workshops, and retreats;
- Oversee protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities on space and other administrative matters;
- Manage and improve filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
3.Coordinate and organize assets management and procurement processes
- Manage office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery and keeping a log of distribution;
- Coordinate assets management in the office, prepare and submit periodic inventory reports, coordinate physical verification of inventory items
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the office and contribute to monitoring their implementation;
- Generate procurement related reports; research and draft responses to enquiries;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies and services;
- Organize and manage procurement activities and processes, including preparation and conduct of Request for Quotations, Invitations to Bid or Requests for Proposals, the opening and evaluation of tenders;
- Coordinate contract negotiations, prepare request for award of contract for the review and approval of relevant authorities, as required;
- Coordinate and supervise the preparation of Purchase Orders (PO) and contracts in and outside Atlas; ensure accuracy of POs;
- Review of procurement processes conducted by the unit; submissions to the Local Acquisition Management Review Committee (LAMRC) and Acquisition Management Review Committee (AMRC);
- Administer and establish Long Term Agreements (LTAs) with UN Joint Teams.
4.Provide administrative support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize trainings for the operations/ projects staff on administrative related matters;
- Compile lessons learnt and best practices in administration, procurement, and human resources;
- Brief staff members on general administrative matters; provide advice and administration support.
5.Providing backstopping support on Finance
- Record and post transactions in Atlas, process payroll, travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements;
- Monitor the setup of budgets in ATLAS to ensure they are in accordance with budgets agreed with donors and are input into ATLAS at the detailed Activity ID level;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with Budget Owner;
- Monitor regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
Key Performance Indicators:
- Adherence to UN Women rules and regulations;
- Timely and quality procurement services;
- Perform duties in a transparent and cost effective manner;
- Provide timely and quality advice to clients;
- Timely and quality reports.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Excellent knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Excellent IT and web based management skills;
- Ability to extract and interpret data