For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and environmental health.
MdM has worked in Nepal since 1995: firstly, on Tuberculosis and HIV in western province, then on Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sindhupalchok District. Following the 2015 earthquakes, MdM implemented an emergency response program and then, a post-earthquake early recovery project in the same district.
Since 2018, MdM is working on Environmental Health. Currently we are implementing 2020-2023 “Healthy Waste Workers for Sustainable Waste Management” in Kathmandu Valley which aims to improve health, wellbeing and livelihood of IWWs in Kathmandu Valley and Sisdole landfill. We also implementing the similar projects in Nepalgunj and exploring Environment Health issues in other districts. We are also launching new projects in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj on occupational health issues related with waste management and pesticide management.
MDM is an equal opportunity employer.
II- Main aims of the post
The Admin & Finance Officer will contribute on administrative, financial, and logistic aspects of the project implementation and provide logistics support to Nepalgunj base office, local partner logistics team and MdM team.
- Bookkeeping and payments
- Procurement, logistics and maintenance
- Administrative, Maintenance and Communication
Bookkeeping and payments
- Make payments and deposits including custody and inventory of petty cash in Kathmandu. Maintain the accountancy including the daily financial transaction record, preparation of the vouchers, post vouchers to SAGA/accounting software; maintaining appropriate filing and documentation of financial and related records; and make sure of proper custody, archive with confidentiality and safety.
- Review and verify the accuracy and completeness of the financial details and reports submitted by local partners in Nepalgunj and Kathmandu to report them to AdminCo.
- Process the payments verifying the due claims, ensuring the procedures & documentation, ensure budget eligibility and withholding tax before preparing cheques or bank transfer order.
- Proceed for advance to suppliers as per approved advance request or terms of the agreements. Responsible for the timely settlement and follow up of supplier advances.
- Support to the good implementation of the project protocols and standards. Maintain the financial compliance with respects to organizational policy and practices, donor’s terms and conditions, statutory & tax regulations, and standard financial & logistics procedures and practices.
- Support to Administrative Coordinator providing financial information for the monthly/ quarterly/ annual forecast, financial reports and other financial information to the management, MdM headquarters, donors, auditors, and authorities.
Procurement, logistics and maintenance
- Responsible for procurement of the goods and services related to the project activities following the standard practices, in rational and systematic manner in adherence to procurement guideline as abide by all prevailing compliance and ethical procedures, respecting the humanitarian rules.
- Prepares all appropriate and complete documentation from Purchase Request to donation/stock consumption including but not limited to quotations collected, evaluation grid, supplier details, product details etc.
- Maintain the transparency of the process, the commercial rules about fair competitiveness, standardize the local market, maintaining the quality of goods/service to be procured, considering the operating and maintenance costs.
- Avoid situations and conditions that may involve or show connections with conflict of interest, corruption, fraud, financial malfeasance by ensuring the transparency in the use of procedures. Comply with and maintain knowledge of applicable rules, legislation, regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Control order performance, including delivery, receipt, warranty, damages, reconcile or resolve value discrepancies.
- Organize the logistics arrangement for project activities such as workshops, trainings, seminars, meetings etc. and participate in program support.
- Responsible to book hotels, flights and rent a car and logistics support need etc. as per approved/ shared travel plans.
- Responsible to provide logistics support to Nepalgunj base office, local partner logistics team and MdM team.
Stock and Asset
- Ensure that all inventories are well organized and correctly stored, well protected, fully identified and easily accessible (cleanliness, safety, access, etc.) in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj base. Update the inventory record of the furniture and consumable items including periodic physical verification of inventories and report to the Admin and Logistics Manager.
- Responsible to maintain the regular need of supplies, stationaries and communication, and other essential items in the field complying the Environment policy and other relevant guidelines.
- Route, schedule, pack and prepare orders for delivery; load/unload vehicles; schedule and oversee deliveries and pick-ups.
Administrative, Maintenance and Communication
- Support to Admin team in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj base, and local partners on various issues of administration, logistics and managements.
- Contribute to organizing the documentation and archive of the admin, logistics and local partners documents with appropriate backups.
- Support to implement safety measures and contribute to conduct regular safety (SOPs) briefing regarding equipment, movements and means of communication to staff.
- Participate in internal work meetings and discuss on financial, logistic and operational issues. Attend meetings/trainings, when organized or requested.
- Ensure all external communication are made informing the supervisor.
- Execute any other function required by the supervisor.